ASA 101 and ASA 103 (or equivalent experience).
You will have the knowledge and practical application to be a competent skipper in near coastal waters on a +40' monohull.
The 2022 dates for the overnight portion of this course are : June 3-5 Full, September 9-11 Full, and November 4-6 Full.
- Access to our online "Bareboat Theory", so you can review at your leisure the material (for up to 1 year).
- Notes for "Bareboat Theory".
- One full day practical on our J/30, before going to California.
- Provisioning for breakfast/lunches on board, meals outside the boat are not covered.
- 3 days on board a monohull in order to complete ASA104.
- There is not a lifejacket with this course, students would have received it in the ASA 101 course.
- Transportation to and from Denver to the marina at Long Beach.
- Any meals not eaten on the boat as part of California trip.
If you ever plan to overnight charter, this course gives you the open water experience required. The course makes the assumption that you already know the basics of sailing, so the course material concentrates on boat systems and giving you the experience docking and maneuvering larger boats.
We believe we have the most comprehensive Bareboat Chartering course available with any school. So - how can we make such an outrageous claim and better yet - how can we back it up?
We break our course into three sections:
- A (one) classroom session that we cover the theory required to pass the ASA 104 written exam.
- One full day practical session onboard our J/30. The J/30 has all the systems that the larger boats do; inboard diesel, roller furling, propane galley, electrical systems & marine head. We will have covered the theory of 12 volt electrical systems in the theory class (section 1), but now we will put a multimeter in your hands, so you can trace the connectivity of wires, and measure the voltage. We will be teaching you how to troubleshoot the system.
- We go to California and sail from Long Beach over to Catalina Island!
So, why do we think we have the best Bareboat Chartering course available:
- We have a classroom session to teach the material that should be taught in a lecture mode.
- The full day practical session onboard our J/30, covering the boat systems part of the course, will be much more of hands on training, we don't know of any other school that shows you how to use a multimeter.
- By the time you have completed the course, you will have sailed on two different sizes (J/30, 40+ monohull) of boats.