All the tools we use in this class cost less than $50 each (some purchased on eBay). The tools do not need to be expensive.
You must have completed the Day 1 Basic Diesel Engine Maintenance class.
You will have used at the tools listed below to diagnose the health of a marine diesel engine.
- After you have registered, you will receive an automated email with instructions on where and when the class is being held.
- The class will be held at our shop location, 11726 Shaffer Place, Unit 606, close to C470 and Ken Caryl Parkway in Littleton, Colorado.
- We typically handout all course material at the class.
- All tools, gloves and safety gear.
- We will supply coffee & water, pastries for breakfast & pizza or sandwiches for lunch.
Please follow this link - Store/Diesel Engine Maintenance Courses.
Using Feeler Guages:
We adjust the valve clearances for each engine.
The Engines Heat Exchanger:
There are multiple reasons why an engine can overheat. In day 1 we trace the routes of both the external cooling water and the internal cooling water. In Day 3, we totally disassemble the heat exchanger.
Using a Compression Checker:
The compression checker will tell you if you have a problem with a particular cylinder in an engine. You will check the compression on each cylinder of each engine and then analyze the results.
Using a Pop Tester:
You use a pop tester to check the pressure that an injector will "pop". Putting a piece of cardboard under the injector when it pops allows you to see the spray pattern. We then adjust the shim package inside the injector and retest it noticing the pressure differences. We also have brand new injectors for each engine, so we can compare new injectors to the working injectors.
Using a Leak Down Tester:
A leak down tester works basically the opposite of a compression tester. You apply air pressure to the cylinders and then listen for air bleeding by either the valves or piston rings. This will tell you if you have a problem with either the valves or the piston rings or both.
Using a Stethescope:
It is truly amazing the things you can hear with a stethoscope !!