Overview of Classes
We offer five levels of classes that qualify for ASA certification, two courses that qualify for ASA endorsements and two miscellaneous courses.
Our sailing courses (that qualify for ASA certification) are:
- Basic Keelboat (ASA 101) - for those with little or no sailing experience.
- Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103) - for those with some sailing knowledge
- Bareboat Chartering (ASA 104) - for those wishing to do overnight charters.
Our navigation courses (that qualify for ASA certification) are:
- Coastal Navigation (ASA 105) - coastal navigation using navigational aids that are fixed to the surface of the earth.
- Celestial Navigation (ASA 107) - open ocean navigation using celestial bodies such as sun, moon, planets and stars.
Our courses that qualify for ASA endorsements are:
- Docking Endorsement (ASA 118) - additional docking practice using the J/30 (inboard diesel engine).
- Basic Celestial Navigation (Celestial Lite) (ASA 117) - open ocean navigation using only the sun to solve a noon shot (not to be confused with our ASA certified full Celestial navigation Course).
We have two additional courses:
- Weather for the Mariner - an extremely valuable course that teaches the student how to understand those weather maps, taught by John Mc Ginley, a NOAA weather scientist based in Boulder, Colorado.
- Spinnaker Sailing - advanced sail trim and sailing with the spinnaker.
All of our sailing classes are a combination of theory (available either online or in a classroom setting) and practical sessions. As soon as you have made payment, you will receive an email with logon credentials giving you access to our theory classes. You then have the option of watching the theory classes online or attending one of our scheduled theory classes. Classroom sessions are taught at the Colorado Executive Club Building, with a first theory scheduled about every 2 weeks (Current Starting Dates). For our Basic Keelboat and Basic Coastal Cruising Courses, we request that you have completed the "First Theory Class" prior to going out on the boat. This first theory covers the physics of how the sails work and how a boat sails upwind.
Practical sessions (on the water sessions held at either Cherry Creek, Chatfield Reservoirs or Lake Carter. Practical sessions are held from 9:00 a.m. to noon, 1:00 p.m. , available either online o 4:00 p.m. and (in the summer) from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., seven days a week. Sorry, but at this time, we do not offer practical sessions at Lake Dillon.
You will receive your lifejacket at either the first theory or at the "Know Your Knots" class.
After you have attended the first theory, you will receive a user-id and password to our online reservation system. You can start scheduling your practical sessions immediately. If you have registered for the Basic Keelboat or the Basic Coastal Cruising course, 3 practical sessions are included. If you have registered for the Combined course, 6 practical sessions are included.
There is no need to attend all three theory sessions prior to starting your practical sessions, you can start sailing as soon as you have completed Theory # 1.
The beginning theory for both the ASA101 & ASA103 are scheduled for about every 2 weeks. There is a full schedule available at https://www.victoriasailingschool.com/index.php/instruction/starting-dates-2015-overview/basic-keelboat-coastal-cruising. You can also start at any time by accessing the online recordings of the theory classes. These are available through our eLearnToSail.com company. For all classes other than this theory #1, all of the theory classes are accessed through the eLearnToSail.com site.
To register for any of our sailing classes, select the class title you wish, then navigate to the following location:
For Basic Keelboat, Basic Coastal Cruising, Combined Course, Bareboat Chartering, Docking Addendum, Spinnaker Class or if you wish additional practical sessions for any of our courses, please go to the Store/Sailing Instruction page.
For Coastal Navigation, Celestial Navigation, or our Weather For The Mariner class, please go to the Store/Navigation Courses page. Select the course title you wish to register for and purchase the item.
If you wish to pay for the class at Theory # 1, using either a check or cash, please select the "Cash On Delivery" option when the forms are requesting payment.